Password protection is an excellent way to protect the
contents of PDF documents.
Adobe Acrobat allows for different levels of password
protection: 1) to prevent opening and viewing of PDFs and 2) to restrict access
to certain functionality, such as copying, printing or form filling.
In Impressario password-protected documents that do not
enable form-filling have a negative consequence in that hyperlinks are also
In order to enable the hyperlinks without
lowering the security level that restricts the printing of the document as well
as copying its content, you need to enable form filling. These are the steps to
- Open your document in Acrobat.
- Click File> Document properties… (Ctrl+D)
- Select Security in the left menu.
- If the Security Method is set to Password Security, then click the
- In the Password Security Settings window, go to the “Changes Allowed” field
in the “Permissions” section.
- In the pull-down menu, select the “Filling in form fields and
- Click OK to close that window.
The new permissions settings will take
effect after you save your PDF. If you now click File > Document Properties,
you will see that, in the “Document Restrictions Summary” section, the “Filling
of form fields”, “Signing” and “Creation of Template Pages” items are now set to
“Allowed”. These permissions should re-enable the hyperlinks without
compromising too much your document security.